Roasted chicken is a classic and a staple in most households. While it may appear healthy, sauces and add-ins can sometimes add a hefty calorie load, not to mention a bunch of unhealthy ingredients. But why should something so easy and delicious be filled with unnecessary things?
This recipe by Kirstie Cotter for simple roast chicken is infused with lemon and garlic to give you all the flavour without all the extras. And the best thing? You’ll have plenty of leftovers to use for the next day — or maybe not.
Simple Roast Chicken with Vegetables
- 1 free-range organic chicken
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, sliced into 8 pieces
- 4 garlic cloves
- Vegetable of choice (broccoli, onions, carrots, etc.)
Check out what other paleo recipes Kirstie is preparing in her kitchen!
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F / 180 C.
- Slice up vegetables for roasting and toss with oil and season.
- Place chicken in an oven safe roasting dish and dry skin with paper towel. Season skin well with salt only and rub all over chicken. Add vegetables to the pan around the chicken. Generally green vegetables will not need as long to cook so if you have chosen these, add to the tray halfway through cooking.
- Roast for about 45 minutes per approx. kilogram (2 lb) of chicken.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and rest while you make a paleo gravy with the pan juices if desired.
Want more juicy recipes like this one? Subscribe to our weekly Dream Paleo Menu newsletter below: