Eating can be confusing, there’s no doubt about that. For Nikki Francois, developing an eating disorder was a struggle but instigated a huge change in her relationship with food. And paleo? It helped solve many of the health issues she had been dealing with! Here’s one of Nikki’s favorite recipes.
Spicy Orange Chicken and Cauli Rice
If you’re a fan of Asian style food, you’re going to love this recipe. It’s sweet, spicy, and savoury all in one dish. With no unhealthy oils, gluten, or refined sugar, it’s nutrient dense and is sure to be a hit all around.
Check out what other dishes Nikki has included in her Dream Paleo Week here.
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Green onion, to garnish
- 1 head cauliflower, riced and squeezed
For the sauce
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 orange, freshly juiced
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1-2 tsp. red pepper flakes
Slurry (optional): 1/2 tsp. arrowroot powder dissolved in 1 tbsp. water
- Combine all sauce ingredients together, except for slurry. Set the slurry aside.
- Toss chicken in egg and coat with arrowroot flour.
- In a pan over medium heat, add 2 tbsp oil and add in the chicken. Cook chicken on both sides until cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside.
- As chicken is cooking, heat a large pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil. Add in cauliflower and cover, stirring occasionally. it should only need to cook 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside covered.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to pan, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add sauce and stir. Bring to a boil and add chicken. Lower heat and continue to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- If sauce consistency is to your liking remove from heat and serve. Otherwise, add slurry and cook for 1-2 more minutes until sauce thickens. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Sprinkle with green onion and serve with cauliflower rice.
Would you like to receive weekly paleo / low carb or primal recipes in your inbox from recipe writers like Nikki? Subscribe here: