As a busy nurse and mom to a toddler, Jessica @carbfreecarbme doesn’t have all the free time in the world. While she’s not a health and fitness fanatic, she is health conscious and loves to climb, boulder, and walk. She’s a huge advocate of balance and admits that she is sometimes a total couch potato — but seriously, how good does a movie and a glass of wine sound?
For the past 20 years, Jessica has been careful with her diet, minimizing her carb intake as she finds it makes her bloated, lethargic, and can even go as far as IBS type symptoms if she’s eating foods repetitively. But it’s only been over the past year that Jessica has taken an interest in the paleo diet and how to adapt it into her lifestyle.
While complex recipes can be delicious, Jessica just doesn’t have time for them. It’s also a challenge for her when her husband says he has to have carbs at every meal. In light of this, a few months back, Jessica started planning a book about cooking nutritious meals for two when you both follow different eating styles. You can follow along and access some of her recipes on Instagram @carbfreecarbme. Check out her simple Smoked Salmon Roulade Recipe here.
Jessica lives by the motto “be happy” — enjoying what you eat is important, and she isn’t super strict about it. If she feels like she wants to add in a bit of quinoa here, and a bit of cheese there, she does. Life’s too short to miss out on the little pleasures now and again. She likes to allow herself to enjoy treats without feeling guilty. As the saying goes, everything in moderation.
Jessica’s even given you some tips for success:
- Drink water! Not only are there a ton of health benefits to drinking water, but it keeps you full.
- Take up a sport you like. Jessica hates the gym, so she opts for running, swimming, or climbing to keep active.
- Play with your kids. There’s only a limited time where you’ll get this chance, so run around, dance, and keep moving — it’s good for you and them!
- Don’t be so strict on yourself. She likes to relax the rules every now and again to enjoy herself, and she won’t beat herself up about it.
- Experiment — a lot. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it’s a disaster, but it keeps things interesting and fun during the process!
Would you like to get Jessica’s Dream Paleo Menu? Subscribe below for free.