Full of flavour and incredibly easy, this tortilla soup by Sierra Staplin is fresh, light, and perfect for any meal. Not only is it gluten-free and dairy-free, but it’s made in a crockpot so all you have to do is put the ingredients in, forgot about it and you have a super tasty soup all ready for you.
2 x 32-oz (2 x 1 L) cartons chicken broth
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1 small can diced tomatoes
Handful fresh cilantro
1 cup corn
Red pepper seasoning
Grain free tortilla chips (optional)
Shredded cheese (optional)
- 4-8 hours before you make the soup, you will need to prep the chicken in a crock-pot. Add chicken breast in the crock-pot with about 1-2 inches of broth. Add in a bay leaf if you happen to have one, if not, no big deal.
- Turn the crock-pot on high if you want to cook the chicken in 4 hours or on low for 8.
- When the chicken is done, shred it with 2 forks. Do not throw away the broth. Take out the bay leaf if you used one.
- Now, start on the soup. Grab a big soup pot and turn to medium heat. Add in about 2-3 inches of broth to the pot. Chop up onions to smaller bite size pieces and add to the pot as well.
- Add in a bit of salt. It is important to start seasoning your soup a little at a time to build that flavour!
- Next, add in the corn. Chop up the fresh cilantro and add in as well.
- Once that comes to a boil, add in the can of tomato. If you like the extra tomato-ey taste, add in the water or juice that is in the can with the tomatoes. If not, drain the tomatoes first before adding.
- Add in a bit of seasoned salt and garlic powder. You can add more seasoning as we go, but cannot take it out so start small and taste throughout.
- Next, pour the shredded chicken and the broth it cooked in into the pot. Add in the rest of the broth, a little bit of red pepper seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, squeezed lime juice, and seasoned salt.
- Let it come to a boil and taste the broth. Whatever it needs more of add it in and keep repeating until it is the taste desired.
- Serve with cheese and guacamole if you would like! Crumble grain free tortilla chips on top.
This recipe is part of Sierra’s Dream Paleo Week.
If you would like to get more of Sierra’s recipes and get other paleo fans’ recipes every week FOR FREE – sign up below: