About the crockpot tortilla soup recipe
Fresh, light, and packed with flavour, Sierra Staplin’s tortilla soup is perfect for any meal. It’s not only gluten-free and dairy-free, but it’s also made in a crockpot, so all you have to do is put the ingredients in, forget about it, and you’ll have a delicious soup waiting for you.
- 2 x 32-oz (2 x 1 L) cartons chicken broth
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- Shredded chicken
- Handful fresh cilantro
- 1/2 lime
- 1 cup corn
- Seasoning salt
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Red pepper seasoning
- Grain-free tortilla chips (optional)
- Shredded cheese (optional)
Prep the chicken in the crockpot 4-8 hours before making the soup. Add the chicken breast in the crockpot with about 1-2 inches of broth. Add a bay leaf if you have one. If not, no worries.
- Turn the crockpot on high if you want to cook the chicken in 4 hours or on low for 8.
- When the chicken is done, shred it with 2 forks. Don’t throw away the broth and take out the bay leaf if you used one.
- Now, start on the soup. Set a large soup pot over medium heat and pour in about 2-3 inches of broth. Chop the onions into bite-sized pieces and add them to the pot.
- Add in a bit of salt. It is important to start seasoning your soup a little at a time to build that flavour!
- Next, add in the corn. Chop up the fresh cilantro and add in as well.
- Once that comes to a boil, add in the can of tomato. If you want a more tomato-ey flavor, add the water or juice from the can of tomatoes. Otherwise, drain the tomatoes before adding them.
- Add in a bit of seasoned salt and garlic powder. You can add more seasoning as we go, but cannot take it out so start small and taste throughout.
- Next, add the shredded chicken and the broth it was cooked in to the pot. Add the remaining broth, a pinch of red pepper seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lime juice, and seasoned salt.
- Let it come to a boil and taste the broth. Whatever it needs more of add it in and keep repeating until it is the taste desired.
- Serve with cheese and guacamole if you would like! Crumble grain free tortilla chips on top.